Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No more dessert

By recommendation of the doctor I had to take the glucose 1 hour test again which I passed with flying colors at 28 weeks. At 34 weeks they wanted me to test again just to try and rule out that high glucose could be the reason for more fluid. Unfortunately for me the 1 hour test came back positive which doesn't actually confirm anything but my doctor gave me two options...come back for the 3 hour test and wait a week for the results or change my diet and monitor my sugar levels on my own. Since this baby could come any day and I have no desire to sit in my doc's office for 3 hours I decided to just monitor on my own. So what does that mean? It means that right now I could potentially have gestational diabetes and need to modify my diet and start tracking my blood sugar levels with this kit that is being sent to me. For me this really means no more candy, ice cream, less fruit and mac & cheese which are some of my favorites right now. My doctor doesn't think that I have GD but better to be safe than sorry and eat better. It will only make it easier to start the weight loss once baby comes.

I have been feeling lately that my eating has gotten a little ridiculous so this actually is going to be good for me even though I hate the feeling of restriction. It bums me out that I can't eat whatever I want but I think I owe it to myself and the baby to be much healthier than I have been. I have only gained 20 pounds so I have been taking that "I am pregnant and can eat what I want" literally so this will get me back on track. It will be interesting to prick my finger every day and check my blood sugar levels since I have grown up with Hypoglycemia which is just the opposite. I have always had low blood sugar level vs. high so this will be good to see how food reacts in my body. It is like a medical experiment for me. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Jess!! Jus think, you can have all the dessert you want when he arrives :)

    ReplyDelete